Keep Things Sweet This Easter.

There once was a dog called Rex,

who scoffed all his owner’s Easter eggs.

The cure made him sick,

 he was connected to a drip,

 and spent Easter weekend at the vets.

Please be careful with your sweet treats this Easter. Chocolate is toxic to dogs (and cats) because it contains a substance called theobromine which animals cannot metabolise safely.

Dark chocolate contains the highest concentration of theobromine so even a small amount can cause symptoms of toxicity. Affected animals begin to show signs of toxicity 6-12 hours after eating the chocolate. Symptoms vary but most dogs become restless and have vomiting with diarrhoea. They may need to drink more water than usual. Some dogs become twitchy and unsteady on their feet. In severe cases theobromine toxicity can cause disturbances in the rhythm of the heart and it can be fatal.

If animals are treated quickly enough they can make a full recovery. Usually dogs receive an injection which causes them to vomit and empty their stomach of the chocolate. Sometimes charcoal is given to prevent chocolate being absorbed into the dog’s intestines.  Often it is advised that animals are hospitalised and put onto a drip to keep them hydrated while their body recovers.

Please contact us if your animal has eaten chocolate. We can work out whether they have eaten the toxic dose for their body weight and advise you what treatment is required.

We wish you all an egg-cellent Easter!

 

This entry was posted in General News.

Comments are closed.